Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Homemade Whole Wheat Focaccia Bread

This goes right along with the Simple Spinach Tortellini Soup from the other night. I truly enjoyed this, although my husband was not a huge fan. He doesn't always like wheat breads, and this is very wheat tasting. The bonus about this bread is that it made enough to last me all week long! I literally ate this with the soup for one dinner and five (count that, five!) lunches. And, I'm not gonna lie, I definitely had this for breakfast one morning, too, just because it was so good.

Anyways, the part I enjoyed most about this bread is that it is no-knead. It's not that I'm anti-knead, it just takes a long time and gets the kitchen very messy when I knead bread. Overall, there's really nothing on this recipe that doesn't scream easy, tasty, and healthy!

Homemade Whole Wheat Focaccia Bread 

Ingredients
3-1/4 cups flour
1 envelope rapid rise yeast
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup warm (not hot) water
Italian seasoning
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese
9x13 pan
Crisco/Pam for greasing

Step-by-step guide
1. Add flour, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and the water to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
3. Grease the 9x13 pan.
4. Add the dough mixture to the pan and even it out throughout the pan. If one section is thicker or thinner than the others it will cause baking issues later.
5. Cover with a towel and put in a warm area.
6. Wait 30 minutes.
7. By now, the dough should have risen and almost doubled in size. Poke holes throughout the risen dough and drizzle olive oil over the entire dough.
8. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and cheese over dough.
9. Cover with a towel again.
10. Wait 30 minutes.
11. Dough will have risen again. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. I'm just going to disclaimer that I live at a high altitude. I actually baked at 350 degrees for more like 35 minutes and it worked for me. I'm guesstimating for a sea-level baking time.

Serve when warm. Tastes really good when paired with more olive oil and Parmesan cheese for dipping. I can't eat too much cheese, but I tried it with just a bit and it hit the spot!






No comments:

Post a Comment