I love soup. Probably more than I should. But, being lactose intolerant, my soup choices are typically fairly limited. Any time we go out to eat if I see the words "creamy" next to a soup, I know what it means. There are so few good, non-dairy soups at restaurants, so I like to create my own. This one is similar to one I found on Budget Bytes. I've adapted it a little just because we didn't have everything required.
Simple Spinach Tortellini Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1.5 cups chopped onion
2 tsps. garlic salt and/or garlic powder
1 can pasta sauce (at least 16 oz, preferably in the 20s)
1 can diced tomatoes (I prefer the no-salt added)
1-1.5 cans water (use pasta sauce after it's emptied)
1 heaping tsp. basil
1 heaping tsp. oregano
2 tsps. pepper
1 package tortellini
1 package frozen spinach or 4 cups fresh spinach
1. Cut the onion into smallish pieces.
2. Put onion, olive oil, and garlic salt/powder in large pot and cook until onion lightly browns.
3. Add in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, water, basil, oregano, and pepper. Stir together and turn heat to medium-medium/high until soup simmers (just below a full boil).
4. Add in tortellini and spinach (if frozen, no need to thaw). If using fresh spinach, you will want to cut it up into smallish pieces.
5. Cook until tortellini is tender. Add salt, if desired.
I like to top this with a bit of cheese, just enough to flavor, not enough to make my lactose-intolerance kick in. We also had a homemade whole-wheat focaccia bread with this. I'll be posting that recipe later.
Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do!