Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lightened Corn Casserole

For anyone who enjoys corn casseroles, you know what they entail, the fattening C's: cream, carbs, calories. I love corn casserole, but I don't love the C's. Or the dairy. Sour cream and milk are both HUGE no-no's for me, since I'm lactose intolerant. So, I decided to lighten it up and make it dairy-free.

Let me tell you, this worked marvelously. I was a little nervous because I know the cream adds a much needed fluff, however, it was still very good without it.

The Cast of Characters
3 eggs (1 whole, 2 whites)
Whole kernel corn
Cream corn
1/3 cup of soy milk (or other dairy-free milk)
Jiffy corn muffin mix

Instructions
1. Separate two egg whites from yolks. Add to whole egg. Mix.
2. In a medium-sized bowl mix all ingredients together. For me, it look like this.
3. Place in either 9x13 pan or 9x9 pan. If you prefer a thinner casserole, use 9x13. If you prefer a thicker casserole, use the 9x9.
4. Cook at 425 degrees until edges begin to brown. For 9x13 pan this will take about 20-30 minutes. For 9x9 pan this will take longer.
Look at that delicious cornbread. With hunks of corn inside. Tastes ah-mazing when topped with a smidge of honey. Corn is probably my favorite vegetable, and when baked into bread form, even better. Try it this weekend, you'll love it! I promise!




No comments:

Post a Comment